Thursday 1 March 2012

Vigorously Editing; Second Meeting With the Veals

I’m planning to enter Meet the Veals in a short story competition, the Bridport Prize, in May, and this has meant I’ve had to shave off about three-hundred words to get it beneath the 5000 mark required. It only took three edits to get it down, and it’s shocking how much you can shave off a story without really trying. All I’ve taken out are odd words and phrases, and about two sentences that were basically repeated elsewhere in the story. I didn’t remove one word that made any difference to it, and yet I’ve managed to get rid of a hell of a lot of them. The new version is up now and reads a lot better, I think. I tried to follow George Orwell’s advice that “if you can cut a word out, cut it out”, probably the best piece of writing advice I can think of. I think I need to go back and re-edit all my old stories; I seem to use the word “that” a magnificently pointless number of times.

In other news, I’m working on a new short story, a dystopian apocalyptic sci-fi kind of thing, then I’m hoping to can writing shorts for a while and work on my novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment