Sunday 15 April 2012

Cutting Out Pointless Words

Well I've finished London Fields, and although it does get a lot better towards the end, the 150 pages in the middle that I had to skimread were interminable. There are some really interesting ideas in it, but the book is packed with so much drivel and pointless philosophising that anything good is drowned in a swamp of cleverness. Nearly every guide to writing focuses on getting rid of anything that you don't need, and I've find that this has been about the best advice I've had. Every time I write something I spend a lot of time going through it and taking out as many words as I can, and the piece always reads better for it. I guess this is most pertinent to short stories, and with novels there is more leeway for tangental writing, but the bottom line is that everything on the page should either move the action along or increase the reader's understanding of a character, and there are thousands of words in London Fields that do neither.

I've looked the book up on Good Reads and lots of people on there rave about it and praise it as Amis' best book, so maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I just think Amis is a bit of a nobhead. Maybe reading London Fields will end up being one of the most important things I do in developing myself as a writer. I hope so, because I spent a lot of unenjoyable, slooow time reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment