Thursday 10 January 2013

From the Desk of the Editor

After a nice December break, I'm back in the saddle and deep into editing the novel I wrote in November. I thought that the writing of it would be the most arduous part, but now I'm confronted with 50,000 words that need changing and shaping into the finished product, and I'm beginning to realise how long this is going to take. Usually I read through and edit a story about ten to fifteen times, and they're typically around 3000 words, so if I'm going to do the same with my novel it's going to be a mammoth task. I'm currently a third of the way through my initial read through and edit, and at the moment I'm enjoying the story as much as I can, because I know in a few months I'll be sick of it! After a couple of edits I'll post some extracts on here.

I'm still pinching myself that when I've finished I will have a book that theoretically could be published if it's good enough and I'm lucky enough. Just to have that possibility if Mr Vintage or Ms Random House were going door to door and offering to publish anyone with a finished book is a wonderful feeling. A good thing is that as I was writing I was worried that a lot of it wouldn't make sense or hang together, but that doesn't seem to be a problem; it seems I have written a coherent novel.  That's the first step out of the way, but there's a nice long marathon ahead....

No comments:

Post a Comment