Wednesday 26 June 2013

A Game of Thrones: Page-Turning and Mind-Boggling

Game of Thrones is probably the best thing I've ever seen on tv. Dragons and magic and political intrigue and mountain men called Shagga make it ridiculously exciting and imaginative, and the grey lines between good and evil that nearly all the characters operate on has left me rooting for everybody in the series, even those trying to kill each other. One thing I never thought I'd do though, was read A Song of Ice and Fire, the series of books that inspired the show. By the time I'd watched the first episode, five sumo-sized books had already been released, and with a couple more still due I decided that rather than dedicating a year of my reading time to George R. R. Martin I'd just watch the tv show and forget the books. I can't give up that much time to reading a fantasy series that might go on forever, or be left unfinished when its ageing, overweight author pegs it, when there are so many wonderful books out there that haven't been turned into tv programmes.

This all changed when I rewatched the first two seasons of Game of Thrones in anticipation of the third season starting in May, but unfortunately watched them too quickly and left myself with a week gap of shaking excitement before I could watch anything new. At this point I was consumed by Game of Thrones, desperate to immerse myself in its world, to find out any tiny detail the tv show might have missed, and horribly unable to use Google for more information for fear of spoilers. So I had to read the first book, titled A Game of Thrones to confuse people. I've never been so excited to read something in which I knew every single thing that was going to happen. It truly is a remarkable book. I've spoken before, when I was reading the Hunger Games trilogy, of the problem with a page-turner being that they're usually light on detail or thought-provoking passages, but Martin seems to mix the two, page-turning and thought-provoking, into a delicious cake that he's been gorging on for the last twenty years, since he began the series.

The depth in A Game of Thrones is staggering: tiny details are dropped only to became major plot points a few hundred pages later, insignificant characters are carefully given back-stories that may or may not emerge in later novels, and there's even a whole recent history to the events of the novel, that is only summarised but would make a great story in itself. It's amazing to immerse yourself in what at times seems like an alternative history to the world (but with dragons). It's huge, and brilliant, and if you like the tv show and are thirsting for tiny little extras you really should give it a go. And if you haven't seen the tv show then you're a damn fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment