Wednesday 2 May 2012

Er, No I'm Not Reading The Hunger Games, Your Eyes Deceive You

I try to avoid fad books. I haven't read The Da Vinci Code or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and now that their moment in the spotlight has passed, I suppose I never will. It's funny how these books seem to be everywhere at the time: in the Summer of 2005 (or thereabouts) beaches everywhere were packed with people reading Da Vinci, and only six months ago I would see at least two people a day on the train with Dragon Tattoo, now I don't see anybody. These books seem to quickly slip into obscurity after their initial burst of popularity, never to return again. I'm generalising, as obviously there are some exceptions, but I mostly don't find these books to be very well written, although the basic stories are always exciting. They're usually a bit like watching a mad action film, and while I love Die Hard and its kind, when it comes to popular books I'd mostly rather just watch the inevitable Hollywood version than sit and read the book. I also feel a bit embarrassed reading a book that's very popular in public: I know I shouldn't care about what people think, but I really worry that people will see me reading a popular book and think that I'm only reading it because I've had it advertised to me. This is silly I know, but I can't help it. Even writing this, I feel as if I'm being judged as some wannabe cool kid. I feel ashamed.

I love dystopian stuff, so when I heard about The Hunger Games coming out at the cinema I was itching to see it, and it didn't disappoint me. I just found the whole thing so exciting, the world that was laid out in front of me was captivating. There are a few plot-holes and silly bits,  but who cares when a film is this much fun? I immediately wanted to watch the next film, which I knew I'd have to wait years to see. In the following days I became obsessed with the world of the film, desperate to find out any little extra detail. I did a Wikipedia search but had to abandon it for fear of finding things out about the rest of the trilogy. I wasn't really interested in reading the supposedly Twilight-esque teenybopper books, but when I found out that the mad freaks at The Book People were selling the box-set of the three books for only £4.99 (!) I gave into the temptation.

So now I'm in the process of reading the first book, holding it flat on my lap on the train so that nobody can see I'm reading something popular, instead of a book by a Nobel Prize winner that nobody's heard of. And it's really, really good. It has this indefinable quality, page-turnability or something, that just means I have to keep reading and reading, even though as I've seen the film I know everything that's going to happen. It might just be that it's so easy to read that your eyes just flow onwards and onwards, never interrupted by having to stop and work out what's going on. Whatever, it's a brilliant book, and so much better written than I expected it would be. The only other faddy literature I've read has been the Harry Potter books, where I find the story and imagination to be really good, but some of the writing dreadful. Originally I planned to just satiate my appetite with the first book and wait for the films, but with a hundred pages left, I think the book has now overtaken the film in terms of how much I like it, so I might have to whizz through the rest of them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment