Friday 28 September 2012

David Foster Wallace Is A Literary Genius

After reading hundreds of different authors in my life (I'd love to have a list of them all, in fact I often daydream about when I die there being my very own nook in heaven filled with statistics on my life: top ten dinners I ate, top ten bands I listened to, top ten happiest moments in terms of how big my smile was etc) I've recently come across somebody who writes in a way that I've never seen before, a way that I never thought could possibly be entertaining, that shakes up everything I held true about writing. David Foster Wallace wrote half the time as if he was compiling a very sober textbook, and the other half as if he was making more detailed and studious footnotes for that same book, but somehow the end product is magnificent. In Oblivion, a collection of short stories published shortly after his death, everyday concepts and bizarre setups I never would have considered interesting enough to write about entwine to form a compelling collection of stories, and page after page words that I've never heard before, and am so sure I'll never hear again I don't bother to look them up, slide seamlessly into his elegant sentences and make perfect sense.

I absolutely loved the book, and have since found out that many of the stories within aren't even considered his best, so I'm looking forward to discovering more. My favourite was Mr Squishy, a story about a focus group for a new Twinkie-like cake, with a very sinister member among them. Most of it entails ridiculously in-depth statistical analysis of people's perception of cream and so on, but God, it's so interesting. I don't think there can be a much better endorsement of how good Wallace is than the fact that when you describe what you love about his work it just sounds awful! If you haven't read him, track something down and be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment